You and your team got creative, shot good footage, and are ready to present your creation to the world. But how will people find your video on the vast expanses of YouTube? Let’s figure out together how YouTube algorithms work for free to increase your video views and how you can influence this.
Viewers’ wishes are the basis of your videos.
The YouTube team has done everything possible to date to ensure that you can get your message across to people. YouTube algorithms process up to 400 hours of newly uploaded content every minute. They are based on feedback: likes/dislikes, the number of shares (share), and comments.
The algorithms do not pay attention to the type of video. Recommendations are based only on user reactions. This is what these indicators are formed from:
- A particular video arouses/does not arouse interest;
- How quickly the viewer switches from one video to another;
- Who the user likes/dislikes;
- What videos the viewer hides from his tape.
The fastest way to learn what your audience likes is to use YouTube Analytics reports. It’s an excellent tool for learning about your audience’s interests and creating videos that will show up in their recommendations.
Good to know:
YouTube’s algorithm system is based on an analysis of a video’s popularity over the entire period of its publication. That is, if you uploaded a video with access via a link, and after three months, made it publicly available, the average popularity indicator will be calculated from the moment of its publication.
READ MORE: EASY 5 ALGORITHMS OF INSTAGRAM
One source – Video search
Keywords form answers to search queries on YouTube. The more accurately you write the metadata, the higher the list of responses you will see in your video. Another nuance is the number of clicks from search results. The search results are more complex than meets the eye.
Good to know:
There is a myth that the position of a video in the top search results is influenced only by its description. This Fnotificatiois influenced by many factors – such as the total viewing time of the video, etc.
- If you want to know the popularity of the keywords you use, check out the YouTube Analytics report. The video title and description are your primary promotion tool.
- Brevity is the soul of wit. The video description should be short and capacious, conveying the essence as much as possible.
- If you work with a foreign audience, translate your keywords into other languages using the built-in YouTube toolkit.
- Challenge your marketer to research as many keywords as possible – famous and not so popular. This will allow you to reach new audiences.
- Explore the Trending tab to get new ideas for your videos.
Two sources – Recommended.
This section offers the user a video on the topic. If you get into this selection, the views are guaranteed and will increase significantly. Can find video recommendations to the videos right in the desktop version of the platform and under the mobile version’s player window.
The ranking in the collection is subject to the following conditions:
- Match the theme of the video to the one you just watched;
- Match the theme of the video to the user’s personal browsing history.
Analytics has a section called “Traffic Sources,” where you can find information about which of your videos are most often featured in the recommended videos to users.
How to get featured in your channel?
- Create video series on the same topic and arrange them into playlists;
- End the video with a voice call to watch another video from your channel, similar in case. Better yet, which is its continuation;
- Do not drag out the endings of the videos so that people can see your calls to action;
- Add descriptive links, hints, and end screens to the video or playlist you recommend to your videos.
How to get to the recommended popular channel?
- Conditions: the channel must be on a similar topic, videos must be on the same subject;
- Find a popular video on which you can create your content and which meets the conditions;
- Create content with similar duration and structure. But with additions and improvements;
- Make the title, description, and tags similar. Not completely identical, 80% percent will be sufficient. A similar meta description dramatically increases the chances of getting featured;
- It is also advisable to link to a popular video and add a link to it in the description. If viewers follow the link and come back to you, it will be a strong signal for YouTube algorithms to recommend your video next to it;
These recommendations are not guaranteed, but they significantly increase the likelihood of being featured in featured videos.
3 source – YouTube Home
The home page displays videos from a user’s subscriptions, along with recommendations based on their preferences. Since this is an individual selection, which is re-processed every time the page is refreshed, depending on the platform’s time, up to two hundred million videos fall into the viewer’s field of view.
This includes many videos from different sources: subscriptions popular with people with similar interests, new videos, and more.
Basic rules for forming recommendations:
- video relevance: created based on the reaction of an audience similar to the user;
- the user’s personal browsing history: it affects not only what he viewed but also what recommendations have already appeared in his field of vision.
Good to know:
More often, users open videos from subscriptions from the main page.
- Stick to your content plan and notify your viewers of new video release dates.
- Work on your videos’ content – keep the viewer’s attention as long as possible, then your content will appear more often in recommended videos.
- Make a video that resonates with your audience to appear in your feeds more often.
- The “Traffic Sources” section will tell you which videos of yours are the most popular.
- Remember to follow YouTube’s guidelines.
Four source – Section “Trending.”
This section contains popular videos from the country of the viewer. The main factor is how long ago posted the video, but it also considers the number of views, its growth in popularity, and traffic sources. Logically, the most important thing is the dynamics of popularity growth, and often videos with fewer views are at the top.
The Trending tab shows videos labeled New Popular Artist and New Popular Artist daily.
Good to know:
- There is a myth that can only pay a trend. In fact, you cannot buy a place in this selection;
- Focus on the interests of your viewers when creating your video. The more engaged your audience is, the more likely they are to share your video with others.
- In business-related topics, videos rarely hit trends. Most entertainment videos appear here.
- You can track which of your videos appear more often on the Trending tab through the Traffic Sources report.
Five source – Subscribers
Importance of audience. In many ways, her activity affects the placement of your videos in the “Recommended”.
Subscribers see your videos arranged temporarily in the Subscriptions tab. Something also gets to the subscriber’s home page.
- Tell viewers directly about the benefits of subscribing to the channel: new knowledge, life hacks, or discounts on your products;
- It is better to insert the call to subscribe not at the end of the video but at the climax of the video when the viewer is most passionate;
- Remind viewers what sections your content is in;
- Analyze audience activity and publish new videos during their peak.
- If the number of views is higher than the number of subscribers, this is normal;
- An adverse reaction is also a reaction. Don’t worry if people unsubscribe from you when posting new videos;
- YouTube analytics should be your primary tool. Make content decisions based on traffic source data.
Working with alerts
There are two types of alerts – browser push messages or email messages. But not the primary source of traffic.
If a person is deeply interested in your content, they can subscribe to your channels. If a user often watches videos on a track where they are not subscribed, they still receive notifications about new videos.
There are three options:
Do not receive notifications.
Disconnect from channel notifications.
Notifications come from time to time.
The user is notified of all updates on the channel.
* There are restrictions! No more than three notifications about updates from one channel per day. At any time, the user can turn off all messages at once.
- Learn how notifications work by enabling them for different channels, for example, from competing channels;
- Add gratitude or subscription benefits to your videos;
- In the “Traffic Sources,” you can find information about how much the time for watching your videos increases depending on the subscription to notifications;
- If you have problems with push notifications, check if they are enabled in your phone settings.
Increase and churn of users taking into account seasonality
Channel analytics in three weeks or three months will not give you the full picture. The interests of the audience and its composition can change, which is not a reason to get upset and panic.
Wave behavior is the term that most accurately reflects the activity of the audience. Just like in offline business, here you can observe the fading and growth of interests. Your task is to track these trends and act by the set channel development plan.
DON’T MISS:- TOP GROWTH HACKING TEAMS GIVES 21 GROWTH STRATEGIES
When you have already developed your channel, gave the audience-specific content that closed their pressing questions, and the statistics of views show a decrease in interest – it’s time to experiment.
When you have formed your audience, then you need to take its opinion into account when creating a content plan. In one of the videos, you can encourage people to express their wishes for the content that they would like to see on your channel.
From time to time, as an experiment, you can throw in videos of content that are unusual for the audience. What they do not expect can cause an increased reaction, from which you will understand how to proceed further – to continue the experimental topic or not.
Filtering inappropriate content
Or safe mode. Such a regime hides explicit and shocking content from YouTube’s underage audience, as well as from those who prefer to isolate themselves from it. This model is manually enabled, regardless of the age specified in the account.
If you have a target audience for children, then take this with increased attention. Because even a small violation, for example, a phrase with profanity, can deprive your video of views. Check if your content complies with the rules for posting videos.
Check out your top-viewed videos and note the three key features that bring these videos together. Maybe one of the described YouTube algorithms turned out to be decisive? Use these developments in the next videos, and the views will be guaranteed to grow.